Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When in Rome

Today a friend of mine asked why Chinese is such a difficult language. I think it was a rhetorical question but I answered anyway. I told her it is because, if it were easy we might get the false impression that we could not only understand the language but also the culture. After almost 5 years here, I don't feel like I've gotten very far even after a year of working with Chinese people. I think understanding individuals is easier than the culture as a whole (if one can ever refer to culture as a whole). A very short thought which I hope to elaborate on later. Must run off, but just thought I'd post something real quick.


In other news. It rained, sleeted, and snowed today. Boy, was the weather busy. In honor of the white fluffy stuff, I'm resurrecting a bit of Christmas:

1 comment:

Tatiana said...

Who doesn't love Bing?

This is kinda funny. Yesterday, I forget what I was doing, but it felt very Christmas-like, so I started humming "It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas." Glad to know we are still on similar wavelengths despite the distance.