Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Remember the '90s? Toad the Wet Sprocket

The '90s was a bad time for music. Be realistic and admit it. I remember long hours of changing radio station hoping to hear a little Oasis or Alanis or...Toad the Wet Sprocket.

Do you remember them? I really hope you do, and if you were one of those people who just didn't appreciate them, that is all about to change. It really is because when you hear Glen Phillips sing, you'll feel like America is a great and melancholy place. You'll bop your shoulders a little, if you're sitting at your desk. You'll listen to the lyrics and think about how interesting and smart they are. Then you'll listen to the music and think...oh...that's definitely from the '90s--but in a good way.

So even though I sadly no longer have their full albums (hint hint for Christmas) I have just discovered Pandora (don't say anything) and had a nice few hours of Glen Phillips' awesome, distinct voice and along with the Gin Blossoms (also great) and the other two or three '90s wonders. I've also included Glen Phillips singing with Nickel Creek...please humor me and listen.









For some reason, listening to this made me miss America.

2 comments:

eva said...

oooh! i miss the gin blossoms. :)

Sarah Grooms said...

I forgot about Walk on the Ocean. I adore that song.