Also, doesn't this picture make it look like I have a personal butler who carries around appetizers for me?
Haitian Chicken Puffs
slightly adapted from First Look, Then Cook
- Cooking oil (I used olive oil but you might go for something with less flavor)
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow or red onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 pound ground chicken breast (hard to find here so I ground some chicken in my food processor. worked great)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 2 tsp no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chopped green onions
- 1 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- Tabasco sauce (or your choice of hot sauce), to taste
- 1 (14-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
PreparationHeat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with a tablespoon of cooking oil. Add onion, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add chicken and cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add carrot and cook 2 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lime juice and vinegar, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add green onions and next 6 ingredients (through nutmeg); stir well. Remove from heat; cool mixture to room temperature.
Add a few or more than a few drops of Tabasco sauce to the mixture, depending on your audience. Place cooled chicken mixture in a food processor; process until almost smooth (mixture will begin to clump).
Preheat oven to 400°.
Roll puff pastry into a 15 x 12–inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut puff pastry into 20 (3-inch) squares. Combine egg and water, stirring with a whisk. Brush egg mixture along edges of pastry squares; spoon about 1 scant tablespoon filling in center of each pastry square. Fold each pastry square in half; press edges closed with tines of a fork. Brush top with egg wash; arrange 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
Makes 20 small puffs.