Thursday, May 6, 2010

Just Purchased...Lots O' Books

A few books anyway. When one is carrying them across continents in one's backpack, a baker's dozen of books can feel like a ton of bricks, but who cares? Pages of wisdom, knowledge, hilarity, and stories are worth bruised shoulders. Why am I telling you all this??? Because, I will be heading to the great States of America in a few weeks and I have to get started now on my half.com buying. (I've got a Feed-Me-Seymour type plant standing guard at my door, so don't try and break into my apartment to steal my collection of used shoes while I'm away.)

I know it's old news, but I only discovered half.com a few years ago. It has since been very beneficial for this poor writer/editor/baker/amateur photographer. Don't worry, I still prefer bookstores and used bookstores--however you have to admit that $12-15 compared to $5 (with shipping) is a good deal and also terribly responsible for the environment and my wallet. So here is what I've just purchased, which will be on their way to my mom's cafe maybe by the time you're reading this.

  1. An Infinity of Little Hours: A writer follows 5 wanna-be Catholic monks as they enter the ranks of the quiet and holy. Who will make it? Who won't?
  2. On Writing Well: For the nonfiction writer...now all I need to do is have interesting things happen in my life that I can write about (besides, of course, the birth of Baby Gray.)
  3. Journey Without Maps: Graham Greene's travelogue of his travels through Africa in the 1930s. I can't wait to read this one. Greene is awesome and who doesn't love the name Graham (I do prefer the spelling Graeme, though.)
  4. Secrets in the Dark: Frederick Buechner comes up on all kinds of list as a must read theologian; therefore, I must read him.
  5. The Woodlanders: Freaking awesome title. I want to be a woodlander (perhaps that's what I am; however, I am temporarily stuck in a concrete jungle.) My last and only other Thomas Hardy read was the very good, but extremely depressing classic Jude the Obscure. Hoping this one is not quite so tragic. Plus, I think it's my red headed friends favorite novel, which is a good enough reason for me to read it.
  6. The Usual Suspects: No, not a book, but a movie I've been wanting for a long time. An ending not to be beaten.
Any other books I have to pick up while amongst my fellow red, white and bluers?

No comments: